Saturday, May 22, 2010

2 Chitange and a tribal mask.....

Today we decided we were going to make a trip into Choma. All 12 of us loaded up in the "Khaki Jackie" for the 45 minute drive into town. We stopped at the post office so we could send out postcards and run to the ATM. A local man was quite taken with Meghann and I offered to trade her for 2 chitange and a tribal mask. She did NOT go along with the idea!

After that we went to the Choma Museum and Crafts Centre, to learn about the history here and do some shopping. Shopping was first priority for most and then a quick run through to see all of the neat artifacts.

BW took the liberty of buying us some delicious chicken and chips (French fries) lunches. Complete with Diet Cokes, cookies and oranges from a local street vendor. Best picnic ever! When we were all done, we loaded up again and were off to the market.

This place was HUGE! They sold everything from dried minnow (which I am sure they use for some sort of eating purpose) to buckets and machete and everything in between. WOW! American strip malls have nothing on this place. We were able to barter with pens and ponytail holders for a few things but mostly we were just happy to stimulate the local economy.

You will be happy to know that I DID NOT buy everything in sight. Though I might have wanted to. I practiced some restraint. All I got were two chitanges. So now I am officially done buying those. I am in search of some sweet African looking jewelry now!

Mrs. Mono is going to make me a cute sundress out of one of my new chitange. I am so excited about it. We had some clutch spaghetti for dinner tonight, courtesy of Lenord! Love Him.

Tomorrow is church in the Jefferson, where we get to hold babies and teach the American equivalent of cradle roll. NICE!

More Tomorrow!

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment