Monday, May 24, 2010

Straight Twinkin'

This morning we woke up to no hot water again. All is good though, we took baby wipe baths. When we came out of our rooms, Rachel and I were dressed the same!

After a breakfast of cinnamon rolls and bagels, we loaded up the “Khaki Jackie” and headed to the haven. Ian Tullos lead an expedition through the African bush. Catherine, Sarah, Kaylee, Lacey, Rachel and I decided to take the trek with him. After nearly 30 minutes of walking we asked some local if they knew where the haven was and they directed us around the corner.

Moral of the story: Don’t follow mini DT into the African outback.

Rachel and I spent the morning with Caroline at the Haven 3 identifying the “at risk” swallowing babies. All these babies are considered medically fragile due to their exposure to HIV, syphilis, or Tuberculosis. We went through there available medical histories and did some screening for development.

Lenord made some sweet enchiladas and rice for lunch complete with banana nut bread for dessert. Yum Yum.

After lunch we loaded back up and headed back to the Haven. The afternoon was spent collecting more data on some of our very little ones. We did some oral stimulation and some Beckman exercises on our tiny ones. Might I just say Caroline is AMAZING. She is a great teacher and wonderful clinician. I am learning so much just being with her today.

After dinner we were invited to attend a welcoming party/dinner. They had wonderful food but we were all so full from our previous dinner we were not hungry. Not a group to turn down food, we did eat again! It was good. After the dinner, the men’s choir from the college sang and they asked us to sing a song. Luckily we had practice “ Wonderful, Merciful, Savior” so we sang them that song.

More Tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Enchiladas in Zambia = amazing! It is so awesome how much you are helping these babies! I know you are such a blessing to them! What kinds of swallowing stuff have you done so far? I know I have learned so much this past week about dysphagia...I feel like I am at least a lil bit knowledgeable on the subject now. Gah I miss so much! Wish we could talk more!

    ReplyDelete